Effective involvement of all stakeholders is a must when preparing for a just transition, but how to do it in practice? The webinar “Engaging stakeholders in just transition planning: who and how?” will look into examples of several coal regions to discover their best practices as well as lessons learnt.
The event will first focus on RE:START – the Strategy for economic restructuring of the Czech coal regions Karlovy Vary, Ústí, and Moravia-Silesia. A unique approach has been used for its development and implementation, bringing together national decision makers and a broad scope of stakeholders from coal regions. Secondly, the webinar will zoom in on the experience of Jiu Valley, Romania, where the just transition process is monitored by a local governing body ADTI that includes representatives of local administrations, civil society, entrepreneurs, and academia. Furthermore, the coalition of 21 NGOs Valea Jiului Implicata actively collaborates for defining the region’s post-mining identity, improving citizen’s quality of life, and building its innovative future in a green sustainable environment.
- Selma Šehović (Climate change and Just energy transition, FES SOE)
Setting the scene:
- Justine Sylvester (Land Tenure Specialist, World Bank)
- Tomáš Burdych (Consultant for the issues of Czech coal regions and RE:START strategy, RE:START department, Ministry of Regional Development, Czech Republic)
- Alexandru Kelemen (co-founder of the NGO coalition Valea Jiului Implicata; Executive director of the local governing body Association for Integrated Territorial Development (ADTI), Jiu Valley, Romania)
The webinar series “Just energy transitions in the Western Balkans and Ukraine” is part of the Initiative for coal regions in transition in the Western Balkans and Ukraine.
From March until July 2023, the webinars will explore opportunities and lessons learnt on the way to coal phase-out. In considering how to make a just energy transition a reality, the series takes a coal regions viewpoint and analyses examples from the EU, Western Balkans and Ukraine. Each webinar will feature several experts working on implementing just energy transitions, including representatives from the coal regions in focus.
Coming dates and topics are listed below:
- 27 April- Energy transition and air quality: solutions and good practices
- 25 May- Opportunities to finance energy transitions
- 14 June- Regions seizing coal phase-out as an opportunity for economic development
- 6 July- Lessons learnt when switching from coal to renewables
For social media: #CoalRegionsWBUA and @Energy4Europe
Book your seat, 3 days left to register, registration will end on 30 March 2023, 15:00 CEST
- Online only
- Online only