What is TARGET?
The Technical Assistance for a Green Energy Transition (TARGET) programme, launched in November 2021, is a technical facility that aims to closely assist EU coal, peat and oil shale regions with the identification and preparation of clean energy and energy efficiency projects. It will also support sustainable investments and local jobs moving away from fossil-fuel based activities. The facility is free of charge for its beneficiaries.
TARGET was developed jointly by the European Commission and the European Investment Bank to support a just transition in EU coal, peat and oil shale regions, in addition to existing tools such as the Just Transition Mechanism.
Types of support activities
- help to prepare an individual project
- help to prepare a group of similar projects
- steering towards additional support from other EU technical assistance instruments
- guidance during the early stages of project preparation (e.g. feasibility study, environmental impact assessment, public consultation, etc.)
- help public authorities to develop a project pipeline
- capacity-building activities
For more information on TARGET, view the "Introducing TARGET" webinar presentation.
Who is eligible?
Both public and private entities based in an EU coal, peat and oil shale region, as defined under the EU initiative for coal regions in transition, can apply for TARGET support.
Besides being based in an EU coal, peat or oil shale region, eligible projects must contribute to a just transition away from these sources and foresee investments in clean energy of energy efficiency.
Examples of eligible projects
- a company rolls out clean energy production on former mining sites
- a district heating company upgrades its distribution grid and decarbonises its heat source
- a regional authority develops a pipeline of clean energy and energy efficiency projects for its coal-dependent communities
- a coal mining town develops a building renovation programme for affected local communities
- a local community intends to set up a new renewable energy community to help produce clean energy and reduce the energy bills of local consumers
How does TARGET work?
Applicant fills in and submits application.
2. Evaluation and approval
The European Commission and the European Investment Bank
select successful applications.
Applicant is notified that their application has been selected.
Technical assistance starts, implemented by the TARGET team.
4. End of support and feedback
Once support is completed, the beneficiary is invited to submit feedback.
How to apply?
Please submit the application form duly completed by email at the following address: email@example.com.
The application form can be downloaded below
Before submitting your application form, please read the Privacy statement for lending and other investment and advisory activities of the European Investment Bank, which will be performing the advisory services.
Applicants will be informed of the process for project selection and further steps after submitting their application. An agreement for the provision of advisory support under the TARGET programme will be signed with successful applicants.