The fourth edition of the Just Transition Platform Meeting – Coal Regions in Transition virtual week and Carbon-intensive regions seminars took place online on 15 – 17 November 2021. Like previous editions, this event was be co-hosted by the European Commission’s DG REGIO and DG ENER. A multi-level dialogue was organised by the Committee of the Regions as a side-event to the Just Transition Platform Meeting on 15 November.
The meeting gathered stakeholders from EU coal, peat, shale oil and carbon-intensive regions, and delivered a range of thematic sessions, networking options enabling exchange and interaction between Member States, local and regional authorities, non-governmental organisations, business and social partners and EU institutions to learn from one another in the journey towards a just transition to a climate-neutral Europe.
The event provided participants with updates and lessons learnt so far on the ongoing preparations of Territorial Just Transition Plans, a discussion on important topics expected to be developed under the TJTPs, and space for regions to share their experiences on their journey towards coal phase-out.
- Coal Regions in Transition - updates from the Initiative
- District Heating - Keeping regions sustainably warm
- Energy communities as an opportunity for regions in transition
- Green Hydrogen opportunities for carbon-intensive and coal regions
- Tackling methane emissions from unused coalmines
- Technical Assistance and Transition - Benefits and Lessons for the Future
- Opening Session
- Updates from the EU
- Green Hydrogen for coal and carbon intensive regions
- District Heating: Keep Regions sustainably warm
- Tackling Methane Emissions from unused coalmines
- Energy communities in coal regions
- Technical Assistance & Transition Lessons for the future
- High Level Roundtable with EVP Timmermans